Unique Identification Authority of India (UIDAI) established in 2009 started the data collection of all Indian residents to allot a 12-digit unique Identification number. It was done on the basis of their demographic information and biometrics.
Aadhaar when translated in English means foundation or relief. The aim of Aadhaar Card was to benefit all the residents in numerous ways.
The benefits of Aadhar Card include-
- Income tax: Filing of returns has always been a cumbersome task… but not now! The returns filed can be verified online using a simple online method. It roots out the need to carry multiple documents, is cost-effective and efficient.
The following steps can be followed to file ITR using Aadhaar Card-
- Go to the e-filing website of Income Tax department. Login using your PAN number and then link it to the Aadhaar Card
- Upload your ITR forms
- Choose the option of OTP generation
- The One-time password (OTP) is sent on the verified mobile number
- Use the code to verify your Income Tax Return
- Passport Issues: With Aadhaar Card one can beat all the passport blues and can get the same within 10 days. During the online application of passport, upload a copy of your Aadhaar Card which will serve as an identity proof and address proof. In the next three days an appointment will be given. Eventually the passport office will process your request and dispatch the same within a week.
- Opening of Bank Accounts: Opening of bank account has become extremely easy with the introduction of Aadhaar card verification. With a click of a finger, a new account can be opened. All one has to do is submit Aadhaar Card as the proof of identity and address. The government has made it mandatory for all to link bank accounts with Aadhaar number for all those accounts that have been opened without using Aadhaar.
- Digital Locker: For storage of personal documents, government of India has launched Digi Lockers. The significant personal documents can be stored on government’s server. Sign-up process is required by the individual that involves linking of one’s 12-digit unique identification number.
- Pensions: Senior citizens have often found getting the pension a time-consuming task. Also, there have been instances of frauds like fake beneficiaries availing the pension. So, to remove all such problems, the pensioners can register themselves using Aadhaar Cardto ensure timely pension.
- SEBI: Securities Exchange Board of India accepts Aadhaar Card as both address and identity proof. This has eased out investment criteria and has made stock market transaction better. Also, there is a proposal of linking your account and Aadhaar Card to curb the practise of money laundering. Investors make fake demat accounts and then push the illegal money in stock market. So, government might mandate its linkage too.
- Digital life Certificate: All this time it was mandatory for the pensioners to be physically present at Pension disbursing Agency to avail the pension. But now the details of the pensioners can be accessed digitally using the digital life certificate, thanks to Aadhaar card. It was launched by department of Electronics and IT as ‘Jeevan praman for Pensioners.’
- LPG: The 12-digit UIN can be used to get LPG subsidy amount directly credited in the bank account. The Aadhaar Based Direct Benefit transfer will remove the need to register separately for every government benefit.
- Jan Dhan Yojana: The Jan dhan Yojana scheme launched by hon’ble PM Narendra Modi is Guinness book record holder scheme. It accepts Aadhaar Card as the only document sufficient to open Bank accounts. This scheme offered numerous benefits like RuPay Card, life & accident insurance, zero balance savings account etc.
- Voter Card Linking: Many people are indulged in the fraudulent activity of having multiple voter ID cards. This practise led to an unfair system of election. Thus, to eliminate bogus voters Aadhaar Card should be linked to the voter ID card which will make it impossible for a person to hold multiple voters’ id.
Aadhaar Card is now widely accepted and is considered to have utmost significance. In the coming days it is definitely going to serve the nation directly as well as indirectly. It is not a mere id proof but has also structured several procedures and unified the system.