Aadhaar Card or Aadhaar Number is Random Unique 12 digit Number which is issued to residents of India. You can use this 12 digit Number to prove your Identity and Residential Address, so now let’s try to understand each and every details of Aadhaar.
- What is Aadhaar?
- Document Requirement for Aadhaar
- How to Apply for Aadhaar?
- Check Status of your Aadhaar
- Download Aadhaar Card or Print Aadhaar Card
- Edit or Update Aadhaar Card
Quick Introduction to Aadhaar
Aadhaar is nothing but a unique 12 digit Number which is issued to residents of India on capturing resident’s biometric and demographic data. This 12 digit number Aadhaar is issued by Government of India Authority named UIDAI which means Unique Identification Authority of India.
UIDAI issues 12 digit Aadhaar Number to residents only on capturing their biometrics and demographic data. So multiple issuance of Aadhaar on one residents name is not possible as biometrics data gets matched with the existing Aadhaar if resident tries to re-enroll themself freshly. This is what makes Aadhaar unique with other identity documents, Aadhaar is robust enough to eliminate duplicate and fake identities. Usage of Aadhaar in every Government Schemes and Subsidies has reduced the cost of identifying resident’s identity and has also eliminated duplicates and fake applications of beneficiary.
A resident can prove his or her identity by providing their 12 digit Aadhaar Number and biometrics, paper Aadhaar is actually not needed. You can carry your Aadhaar in your mobile number or in a digital form.
Documents Required for Aadhaar Card
To enroll for Aadhaar you will need to submit Address Proof, Identity Proof and Date of Birth Documents, below are the list of the documents:
Proof of Identity (PoI) Documents
Passport, PAN Card, Ration / PDS Photo Card, Voter ID, Driving License, Government Photo ID Cards/ Service Photo Identity Card issued by PSU, NREGS Job Card, Photo ID Issues by Recognized Educational Institution, Arms License, Photo Bank ATM Card, Photo Credit Card, Pensioner Photo Card, Freedom Fighter Photo Card, Kissan Photo Passbook, CGHS/ ECHS Photo Card, Address Card having Name and Photo issued by Department of Posts, Certificate of Identity having photo issued by Gazetted Officer or Tehsildar on letterhead, Disability ID Card/handicapped medical certificate issued by the respective State/UT, Affidavit executed on non-judicial stamp paper to be submitted by a woman applicant for name change after marriage (Join affidavit to be submitted along with her husband with joint photo), Marriage Certificate, Proof of Marriage document issued by the registrar, gazette notification, legal name change certificate.
Proof of date of birth documents
Birth Certificate, SSLC Book/ Certificate, Passport, Certificate of Date of Birth issued by Group A Gazetted Office on letterhead.
Proof of Address (PoA) documents
Passport, Bank Statement/ Passbook, Ration Card, Voter ID, Driving License, Government Photo ID Cards/ Service Photo Identity Card issued by PSU, Electricity Bill (not older than 3 months), Water Bill (not older than 3 months), Telephone Landline bill (not older than 3 months), Property Tax Receipt (not older than 3 months), Credit Card Statement (not older than 3 months), Insurance Policy, Signed Letter having Photo from Bank on letterhead, Signed letter having photo issued by registered company on letterhead, signed letter having photo issued by recognized educational instruction on letterhead, NREGS Job Card, Arms License, Pensioner Card, Freedom Fighter Card, Kissan Passbook, CGHS/ ECHS Card, Certificate of address having photo issued by MP or MLA or Gazetted Officer or Tehsildar on letterhead, Certificate of address issued by village panchayat head or its equivalent authority (for rural areas), Income Tax Assessment Order, Vehicle Registration Certificate, Registered Sale/ Lease/ Rent Agreement, Address card having photo issued by departments of posts, caste and domicile certificate having photo issued by state govt., disability ID Card/ handicapped medical certificate issued by the respective State/UT Governments/ Administrations, Gas Connection Bill (not older than 3 months), Passport Spouse, Passport of Parents (in case of minor).
How to Apply for Aadhaar Card or Aadhaar Number?
Resident of India or resident who has resided in India for a period or periods amounting in all to 182 or more in the 12 months can apply for Aadhaar. Also there is no age limit on applying for Aadhaar, from infant to senior citizen any one can apply for Aadhaar.
Applying for Aadhaar is very easy and smooth process, just you need to have address and identity proof documents. We have already mentioned the required documents to apply for Aadhaar, in case you have missed reading it then you can check it out by clicking here.
Below are the steps on how to enroll or apply for Aadhaar Card:
- Visit Official UIDAI Website by going to //uidai.gov.in/
- Visit the Aadhaar Center personally with your proof of identity and proof of address documents.
- Take Aadhaar Application Form from the Center.
- Fill up each and every details asked in the form, don’t forget to enter your mobile number and email id.
- Submit the photocopies of the documents and form to the Aadhaar Operator.
- Operator will capture your facial photograph, fingerprints and iris.
- All your data which you had entered in your form will be entered by the operator in Aadhaar Software.
- At the end you will be given Aadhaar Enrolment Acknowledgement Slip or Receipt, which you will have to keep safely with you until you receive your Aadhaar Card by post.
- Remember during this process you will not be asked any free, Aadhaar Enrolment Process is Free of Cost.
- You will receive your Aadhaar by post in next 2 – 3 months.
You may track status of your Aadhaar from time to by using Aadhaar Check Status Option, you can find out how to check status of your Aadhaar from below post.
How to Check Status of Aadhaar Card?
If you are already enrolled for Aadhaar, check if your Aadhaar is generated by using option Check Status Aadhaar.
To check your Aadhaar Application Status you should have your Aadhaar Enrolment ID with you, Aadhaar Enrolment ID will be printed on Aadhaar Enrolment Receipt.
- Just visit UIDAI Official Website Check Aadhaar Status by visiting //resident.uidai.gov.in/check-aadhaar-status
- Enter your Enrolment ID in the field and enter the security code, once entering these details just click on check status button.
- You Aadhaar Application Status will be displayed.
If your Aadhaar Status is showing as Aadhaar Generated then you can download your Aadhaar Online by following below download Aadhaar Online Process. In case if your Aadhaar Status is showing as in process then you will have to wait for few more days or months or check the status back later. In case your Aadhaar Application Status is being displayed as rejected then you should get in touch with Aadhaar Center or Aadhaar Toll Free Number to know the exact reason behind your Aadhaar Application Rejection.
How to Download or Print Aadhaar Card?
If you have already enrolled for Aadhaar and still you have not received your physical copy of it or is you have lost your physical copy of Aadhaar then you can download it online.
- To download your Aadhaar Card Online you should have your Aadhaar Number or Aadhaar Enrolment Number with you.
- Visit UIDAI Official Portal Download Aadhaar by going to //eaadhaar.uidai.gov.in/
- Select you have Aadhaar or Enrolment Number or VID from the options available and enter your details below like Aadhaar Enrolment ID or Aadhaar Number or VID and enter Security Code, if you have TOTP then click on I have TOTP and enter the code and download aadhaar or else just click on send otp.
- You will receive one time password on your registered mobile number.
- Enter the received otp in enter otp and complete the displayed survey as per your experience and click on verify and download Aadhaar.
- Your Aadhaar Download will start, once successfully downloading the file completely open the PDF File with any PDF Software Reader.
- On opening it will prompt you to enter the password.
- The password to open your e-Aadhaar PDF File will be combination of first four letters of your name in capital letters followed by your year of birth.
- If you enter this password format then you would be able to successfully unlock your Aadhaar Card PDF.
- Now you could be able to print your downloaded Aadhaar Card, and use the print out wherever asked.
How to Edit or Update Aadhaar Card?
- Updating or Editing details in Aadhaar Card can be possible via Online as well as Offline Method. But through Online option you can only update or edit Address in Aadhaar Card, and rest all details like correcting name, fathers name, mothers name, guardian name, mobile number, email id, biometrics etc. can only be done by visiting nearest Aadhaar Center.
- To update or edit your Address in your Aadhaar Card Online you should have new address documents.
- Just visit Aadhaar Self Service Update Portal by visiting //ssup.uidai.gov.in/web/guest/update, and update your Address in your Aadhaar Card.
- To change or edit rest all details like Name, Mobile Number, Email id, Biometrics, Photograph, and Fathers Name etc. you will have to visit nearest Aadhaar Center and fill up Aadhaar Update Form.
- Submit the Aadhaar Update Form along with the photocopies of document and get your Aadhaar Card Updated.