Aadhaar Card has become one of the most important identification proofs for Indians. It was developed by the unique identification authority of India (UIDAI). Aadhaar Card has a 12-digit unique identification number that must be linked to certain documents. The government has announced compulsory linkage of 6 documents with the Aadhar Card.
These are given below-
- Bank Account
- PAN card
- Voter ID card
- LPG connection card
- Ration Card
- Mobile number
This attempt is made to reduce the fraudulent activities and to ensure the direct benefits of the government schemes to the citizens.
The process of linking the documents is simple and can be done in multiple ways by offline or online mode or by SMS.
Table of Contents
Link Aadhaar with Bank Account
The government has made it necessary to link Aadhaar with bank accounts to verify the Aadhar card of its customers. If the customers fail to do so then their bank accounts will become inoperable. The Aadhar Card can be linked in two ways
- Offline – By filing an Application Form and physically submitting it to the respective banks
- Online- By filling the Aadhar Card details using Net Banking Facility
Deadline – March 31, 2018
- It is a valid Know Your Customer (KYC) document and authenticates your identity
- Linked accounts can be accessed from anywhere in India
- Direct Credit in the Bank accounts of MNREGA workers
- Subsidy for commodity goods like sugar, kerosene etc will be transferred directly
- Direct benefits of the welfare schemes
- Verification that benefits of the schemes are availed by the deserving individuals only
Link Aadhaar with PAN Card
Individuals must link their PAN Cards with the Aadhar Card for their returns to be processed. The Central government has made it mandatory for all the taxpayers. It has been aimed to root out the manipulative practices of tax evasion by the people. Aadhar Card can be linked to the PAN card in different ways – Follow the steps given below how to link PAN card with Aadhar card:
- Using the e-filing website of the department
- Sending an SMS to PAN service providers
- Manual linking by visiting the nearest PAN service provider center
Deadline – December 31, 2019
- Return filing will become easy
- Hassle-free tracking of tax evaders by the government
- Keeping a check on the transactions and cutting down of multiple PAN cards
Link Aadhaar with Voters ID
To remove all types of frauds and duplication government has asked to link Voters Id also with the Aadhaar Card. Many incidents have occurred in the past wherein an individual had more than one voter’s ID card, so to stop this it is mandatory to link the Aadhar.
There are different ways to link the same-
- Online- Using the NVSP portal of the government and mentioning there the requisite details
- By sending an SMS to 166 in the specific format – <EPIC_number><Aadhar Number>
- By calling at the call centers specifically meant for this purpose
- By submitting an application to the Booth Level Officer (BLO)
- Fair and just elections
- No duplicity in the voters list to influence the elections
- Political reform
Link Aadhaar with Ration Card
Even ration cards solely used by the poor household to avail necessary items like food grain etc at the subsidized price has to be linked with the Aadhar Card.
Different ways to link Ration Card with Aadhar Card is-
- The Online method, i.e. by visiting the official website of UIDAI and selecting Ration card as the benefit type after filling in the personal details
- Offline method of taking all the required documents, Aadhar card, ration card and the passport size photograph at the ration office
- By sending an SMS
Deadline- March 31, 2018
- Eliminates the scope for ineligible people to avail the benefits
- Financial transactions are also linked to Aadhar, thus, only people below the poverty line can avail the subsidies.
- No more multiple Ration cards
Link Aadhaar with LPG
It is compulsory for the Indian Citizens to link their Aadhar Card with the LPG gas connection to receive direct benefits of the cash subsidy. The beneficiaries to assure all such benefits of subsidies must link the same.
There are various means to link LPG connection with Aadhar Card-
- By calling the Call center designated to perform this work
- Submit the application form to the nearest LPG distributor office. (form can be downloaded from the respective websites)
- Using the Interactive Voice Response System (IVRS) especially developed to assist customers in linking Aadhar and LPG
Deadline – March 31, 2018
- Direct credit of LPG subsidy to the bank account
- Keeps a check on the corruption
- The benefit is received by the deserving people and not misused by others
Link Aadhaar with Mobile Number
As per the orders by the government of India, the Department of Telecommunications (DoT) has asked all the mobile service providers to verify their customers by using the Aadhar Card details and its biometrics.
How to link Aadhaar with the mobile number there is only one way-
- Offline method; Visit your nearest authorized mobile service retailer, fill in a form and receive a code that will help in completing the biometric validation on the e-KYC devices.
- No online method available
- OTP verification method for linking Aadhaar with a mobile number might be available from 1st Jan as the government has directed telcos to make it easy for customers to link their mobiles without visiting the store.
Deadline – March 31, 2018
- Will add another security layer on your existing SIM
- E-verification of ITRS using the linked Aadhaar number
- Can update your existing personal details like e-mail address, residence etc.
It is crucial for the citizens of India to take care of these deadlines and link Aadhar Card before the last dates to avoid defaults, penalties, and deactivation of various services. Failing to get the Aadhar linked with the aforementioned documents will also lead to discontinuation of benefits offered by the government under various schemes. Thus, do not miss the deadline and make sure you get all your documents linked with Aadhar to avoid the hassle.