Linking PAN Card with Aadhaar Card is now mandatory as per the Supreme Court Judgment. If you have been issued Aadhaar Number then it is mandatory to link it with your PAN Card and you should also quote the same while filing your tax returns. Linking Aadhaar Number with PAN makes the e-Filing process easier, by eliminating the need of furnishing your Income Tax acknowledgment.
Linking Permanent Account Number (PAN) with Aadhaar Number allows you to e-Verify your return using Aadhaar if your mobile number is registered with Aadhaar.
Also recently the government has provided an option to link PAN Card with Aadhaar Card Number to eliminate the PAN Cards that are obtained fraudulently and those whose PAN Card is not linked with Aadhaar Number will soon get invalid.
Table of Contents
Benefits of PAN Card link with Aadhaar
By linking your PAN with Aadhaar you will get the following benefits:
- you will comply with the law and you won’t face any inconvenience in using your PAN Card
- you will be able to e-Verify your return/ forms and other submissions such as refund re-issue, e-Proceeding using Aadhaar OTP
- you will be able to reset your account password using Aadhaar OTP
- your eFiling account will be highly secured using Aadhaar OTP
So this guide will help you on How to Link PAN Card with Aadhaar Number, below are the several modes available with which you can get your PAN Card linked with Aadhaar Card Number.
Deadline for Linking PAN with Aadhaar
The deadline for Linking PAN with Aadhaar has been extended from 31st March, 2020 to 30th June 2020 due to the corona epidemic nationwide.
Before we start with the linking process of PAN with Aadhaar Number let us know the requirements.
Requirements for PAN Aadhar link
To link your PAN Card with Aadhaar Number you will need PAN Card and Aadhaar Number, also the Aadhaar Number should have your active mobile number registered or else you will not be able to do PAN Aadhar link.
Process to Link PAN Card with Aadhaar Card Number
- Just visit Income Tax Filing Site by clicking here, and register an account using your PAN Card Number and your personal details.
- Once you are registered on the site, just activate your account by clicking on the account confirmation link sent on your email and enter the OTP PIN received through SMS on your phone.
- On successful activation of your account, just log in to your account.
- Once you are logged in into your account, a message will be popped up asking to link Aadhaar. If you don’t get the popup to link your Aadhaar just go to Profile setting and click on the “Link Adhaar” button.
- Just enter your 12-digit Aadhaar Number in the Aadhar Number field, enter the captcha code and click on the link now button. Before linking make sure your name, date of birth, gender in Aadhaar match the details as per your PAN Card Data.
- On the next screen, you will get a message saying Aadhaar-PAN linking is completed successfully.
This is how easily you can link your PAN Card with Aadhaar Card Number Online also in this way you can even save your PAN Card from getting invalid.
Link Aadhaar with PAN without Registering on Income Tax India e-filing
- To link your Aadhaar Number with PAN make sure you keep ready your Aadhaar Number and PAN Card Number in front of you.
- From your web browser just visit Income Tax India e-Filing Portal by clicking here.
- Just enter your details correctly in link Aadhaar form like your PAN Card Number, Aadhaar Number, Name as per Aadhaar, if the only year of birth is mentioned on your Aadhaar Card than click on I have only year of birth in Aadhaar Card, solve the captcha code, and click on link Aadhaar.
- Please ensure the date of birth, gender, and Aadhaar Number is as per Aadhaar details to proceed further. If Date of Birth and Gender is fully not matched and name as per Aadhaar is not exactly matched then the user has to additionally provide Aadhaar OTP to proceed with partial name match.
That’s it you have successfully linked your Aadhaar with PAN without registered on Income Tax Indian e-Filing Portal.
How to Link Aadhaar Card to PAN Card using SMS
Linking Aadhaar Card to PAN Card is now mandatory, but not all people are familiar with the process on how to link Aadhaar Card to PAN Card. So Income Tax Department has recently started a new facility that allows an individual to link Aadhaar Card to PAN Card using SMS. Linking Aadhaar Card to Permanent Account Number using SMS will be suitable for all masses of people in India to get their Aadhaar Number linked to PAN in a hassle freeway.
Below is the SMS format which you will have to send to link Aadhaar Card to PAN Card using SMS.
SMS Format to link PAN with Aadhaar using SMS
To link PAN with Aadhaar using SMS just type UIDPAN<SPACE><12 digit Aadhaar><Space><10 digit PAN> and send it to either 567678 or 56161 from your registered mobile number
Alternatively, you can also visit the official Income Tax India e-Filing Portal to link the two identities. In case if there is a minor mismatch linking your Aadhaar Card to PAN via Online Portal will solve your problem. But if there is any minor mismatch in Aadhaar name, it will require Aadhaar OTP.
If you don’t get your Aadhaar linked with PAN than your PAN Card might go invalid anytime, so it is better to get your Aadhaar linked to PAN by following any of the methods. Also now Aadhaar is mandatory for new PAN Card Applicants, without that you can’t apply for PAN.
How to Link Aadhaar with PAN Card in Case of Mismatch
If your details differ in Aadhaar and PAN like name, gender, and date of birth then you will get mismatch error while linking your PAN Card with Aadhaar Card. So to successfully link your Aadhaar Number with PAN Card both details in documents should match, or else it will not allow you to link both.
So in such a situation how you can get your Aadhaar linked with PAN we will discuss in this article.
Link Aadhaar with PAN in Case of Name Mismatch
- In case if there is any minor mismatch in your Aadhaar Name than a one-time-password (OTP) will be sent on your registered Aadhaar Mobile Number.
- And on entering that OTP Code only you will be able to proceed further to link your Aadhaar with PAN, but you should ensure that the Gender and Date of Birth matches in both the documents.
- If in your Aadhaar Card your name is completely different from your name in PAN Card, then the Aadhaar Linking with PAN Card will get failed and you will be asked to change the name in either your PAN Card or your Aadhaar Card. So in such a case, you will have to get your PAN Card details updated by following link //www.utiitsl.com or update your Aadhaar Card Details.
- And once the details get corrected and you receive acknowledgment about the correction from PAN or Aadhaar, you can proceed with linking your Aadhaar Number with your PAN Card.
Link Aadhaar with PAN Card in Case of Date of Birth or Gender Mismatch
- If your Date of Birth in PAN Card and Aadhaar Card doesn’t match then also you will not be allowed to link your Aadhaar with PAN Card. So in order to link Aadhaar with PAN Card, your demographics details should match on both your documents and for that, you will have to request an update in PAN Card by visiting //www.utiitsl.com and Update Aadhaar Card.
- So if you correct the details on both your Aadhaar Card and PAN Card, then you will be easily able to link your Aadhaar Card with PAN Card without any mismatch errors or problems.
The Government of India has made mandatory to link Aadhaar Number with PAN Card. And for the new applicants of PAN Card quoting 12 digit Aadhaar Number or Enrolment Number is necessary. So if you are guessing whether your Aadhaar Number is linked with PAN Card or not then there is a way to find out or make an inquiry to check if Aadhaar is linked with PAN Card.
Below is the full tutorial which will guide you on how to check if Aadhaar is linked with PAN Card.
Check if Aadhaar is linked with PAN Card
- To check if your Aadhaar Number is attached with PAN Card just visit the Income Tax India e-Filing portal by clicking here.
- Once you are on the Link Aadhaar Home page of Income Tax India e-Filing page, just fill out the fields like your PAN Number, Aadhaar Number, Name as per Aadhaar, if in your Aadhaar only year of birth is mentioned then click on “I have only year of birth in Aadhaar Card”, solve the captcha code and click on Link Aadhaar button.
- If your PAN is already linked with Aadhaar Card then you will get an on-screen message saying “Your PAN already linked to the given Aadhaar Number”.
This is how easily you can find out whether your Aadhaar is linked with PAN Card (Permanent Account Number).
- Alternatively, if you are filing your ITR and have registered an account on the incometaxindiaefiling.gov.in portal, just login into your account by entering your PAN Card Number, Date of Birth, Password, and captcha.
- Go to Profile Settings and click on Link Aadhaar.
- If your Aadhaar Number is linked with your PAN Card then it will display your Aadhaar Number.
If for some reason you can’t check online if Aadhaar is linked with PAN Card then you can also check it by sending an SMS. Below is the SMS which you will have to compose from your registered mobile number to check if Aadhaar is linked with your PAN Card Number.
Type UIDPAN<SPACE><12 digit Aadhaar><Space><10 digit PAN> and send it to 567678 or 56161
If your PAN was already linked to your Aadhaar Number then you will receive a reply saying “Dear Applicant, your Aadhaar 123456789123 is already linked with your PAN CP123456 as per Income Tax records. You need not request again unless there is a change. We thank you for using our services. Regards, UTIITSL/ NSDL.”
How to Delink Aadhar from PAN Card
If you have linked incorrect Aadhaar Number with PAN or incorrect PAN with your Aadhaar, then you might be looking out for possible solutions on how to make corrections or how to delink Aadhar from PAN Card.
But unfortunately, there isn’t any option provided online on Income Tax efiling portal to delink Aadhar from PAN Card. However, linking incorrect Aadhaar with PAN or incorrect PAN with Aadhaar is not possible as the details on both documents should match to get the documents linked to each other. But still, If you have linked incorrect Aadhaar with PAN or incorrect PAN with Aadhaar then keeping quiet isn’t the solution.
To remove Aadhar number from pan card you will need to approach concerned Income Tax Officer with a letter to delink or unlink Aadhaar from PAN and the letter should also mention the valid reason. And in case if you hold two PAN Card’s then you should surrender the extra one as you are breaking the law by holding two PAN Cards, as per provisions of Section 272B of the Income Tax Act., 1961, a penalty can be levied on possession of more than one PAN.
To surrender the PAN you will need to submit the PAN Change Request application form.
You should mention the PAN which you are using currently on top of the form. All other PAN/s inadvertently allotted to you should be mentioned at item no. 11 of the form and the corresponding PAN card copy/s should be submitted for cancellation along with the form.
FAQ’s on PAN Aadhaar link
When is the last date to link PAN with Aadhaar?
CBDT has extended the timeline for Linking PAN with Aadhaar from 31st March 2020 to 30th June 2020.
Can i link PAN with Aadhaar enrollment number?
You cannot link PAN with Aadhaar enrollment number. To link PAN with Aadhaar, 12 digits Aadhaar Number or UID is mandatory.
Can we delink aadhar from pan card?
No, there isn’t any option provided on the Income Tax Department official website which allows delinking Aadhaar from PAN Card. Incase if you have linked wrong PAN with your Aadhaar or wrong Aadhaar with your PAN then you will need to approach Income Tax Officials with a request letter.
Which Aadhaar Number has to be linked with Corporate/HUF PAN Card?
As Aadhaar is issued only to the indivisual, you will need to link Aadhaar of the karta that is principal person with the PAN Card.