In our last article, we discussed how to update Aadhaar Card through Post. But alternatively, Aadhaar Card details can also be updated online at the comfort of your home or office. So in this guide, we will briefly discuss how to update Aadhaar Card Online. Updating Aadhaar Card Details Online option helps a lot for those who have errors in their demographic details of Aadhaar, if there is any spelling mistake or error in your Aadhaar Card than you can easily correct it by using Update Aadhaar Card Data Online Option found on Official UIDAI Portal.
To be able to update your Aadhaar Card Details Online first of all you should have internet connection, computer or laptop or smartphone and supported proof of identity, supported proof of date of birth and Supported Proof of Address document self-attested scanned copies stored on your computer or laptop or smartphone in .jpg, .pdf, .tiff, .jpeg, or .png format.
Through the online medium of Aadhaar Update you can only update your Address, and rest all details can only be updated through Aadhaar Seva Kendra or Post Office or Bank. So this is the only limitation of updating your Aadhaar Online.
Below is the list of Supported Proof of Identity, Proof of Birth and Proof of Address documents accepted to Update Aadhaar Card Online Request.
Supported Proof of Identity (PoI) documents Containing Name and Photo for Name Corrections:
Passport, PAN Card, Ration / PDS Photo Card, Voter ID, Driving License, Government Photo ID Cards/ Service Photo Identity Card issued by PSU, NREGS Job Card, Photo ID Issues by Recognized Educational Institution, Arms License, Photo Bank ATM Card, Photo Credit Card, Pensioner Photo Card, Freedom Fighter Photo Card, Kissan Photo Passbook, CGHS/ ECHS Photo Card, Address Card having Name and Photo issued by Department of Posts, Certificate of Identity having photo issued by Gazetted Officer or Tehsildar on letterhead, Disability ID Card/handicapped medical certificate issued by the respective State/UT, Affidavit executed on non-judicial stamp paper to be submitted by a woman applicant for name change after marriage (Join affidavit to be submitted along with her husband with joint photo), Marriage Certificate, Proof of Marriage document issued by the registrar, gazette notification, legal name change certificate.
Supported Proof of date of birth documents:
Birth Certificate, SSLC Book/ Certificate, Passport, Certificate of Date of Birth issued by Group A Gazetted Office on letterhead.
Supported Proof of Address (PoA) documents Containing Name and Photo for Name Corrections:
Passport, Bank Statement/ Passbook, Ration Card, Voter ID, Driving License, Government Photo ID Cards/ Service Photo Identity Card issued by PSU, Electricity Bill (not older than 3 months), Water Bill (not older than 3 months), Telephone Landline bill (not older than 3 months), Property Tax Receipt (not older than 3 months), Credit Card Statement (not older than 3 months), Insurance Policy, Signed Letter having Photo from Bank on letterhead, Signed letter having photo issued by registered company on letterhead, signed letter having photo issued by recognized educational instruction on letterhead, NREGS Job Card, Arms License, Pensioner Card, Freedom Fighter Card, Kissan Passbook, CGHS/ ECHS Card, Certificate of address having photo issued by MP or MLA or Gazetted Officer or Tehsildar on letterhead, Certificate of address issued by village panchayat head or its equivalent authority (for rural areas), Income Tax Assessment Order, Vehicle Registration Certificate, Registered Sale/ Lease/ Rent Agreement, Address card having photo issued by departments of posts, caste and domicile certificate having photo issued by state govt., disability ID Card/ handicapped medical certificate issued by the respective State/UT Governments/ Administrations, Gas Connection Bill (not older than 3 months), Passport Spouse, Passport of Parents (in case of minor).
Table of Contents
Process on How to Update Aadhaar Card Online
As we mentioned earlier through online mode of update you can only update your Aadhaar Address. But to update the address online in your Aadhaar having a valid mobile number linked with your Aadhaar is mandatory. Without having a registered mobile number you cannot update your Aadhaar Address Online. So make sure you keep the registered mobile number accessible with you while this process and also make sure you have scanned the above-supported documents on your device from which you are submitting the request for the Address Update in Aadhaar.
Visit official UIDAI Website https://uidai.gov.in/
Under Update Aadhaar Section click on Update your address online
A new page called Aadhaar Self Service Update Portal will open
To update your address just click on proceed to update address button
On next page you will need to log in using your Aadhaar Number or Virtual ID, so enter your Aadhaar Number or Virtual ID, solve the captcha verification security code and click on send OTP button or if you have mAadhaar App on your device then you can also make use of enter a TOTP
Enter 6 digit one-time password or 8 digit TOTP in Enter OTP/TOTP field and click on the login button
On the next screen, you will get two options:
- Update Address via Address Proof
- Update Address via Secret Code
As here we are updating Aadhaar by submitting address proof, so just click on Update Address via Address Proof
On the next page, you will need to enter the details to update
Once entering the new address which needs to be updated or corrected, just click on the preview button
Your entered address preview will be displayed, just have a cross-check on entered details and if everything is correct, accept the conditions by tick marking on “I hereby confirm that I have read the instructions carefully and the information provided by me to the UIDAI is true and correct” and click on submit button
On the next screen you will be asked to upload address proof documents, so just select the type of the document which you will upload and upload the document.
Note down that the maximum size of the document must be 2MB, and it should be JPEG, PNG, or PDF file format
On the next screen, your Aadhaar Update Request Number will be displayed with which you can track the future process of your application.
Your application may take 1 day to 3 weeks to get processed, so you will need to keep an eye on the status of your request as well as you will be notified via SMS
In the past, UIDAI Self Service Update Portal used to offer the option to update all demographic details of your Aadhaar such as Name, Gender, DOB, Address, Mobile Number, and Email id. For your reference below is the old process through which residents could get all details updated online in their Aadhaar.
Steps on How to Update Aadhaar Card Online
- From your PC, Laptop or Smartphone using any web browser access UIDAI Aadhaar Self Service Update Portal by going //ssup.uidai.gov.in/update
- Once you are on the UIDAI Government of India Aadhaar Self Service Update Portal, just enter your Aadhaar Number, complete the text verification by entering the same text as displayed in the image and click on Send OTP.
- On Clicking Send OTP You will receive One Time Password (OTP) on your registered mobile number, just enter the OTP and click on the login button.
- You will be logged in to Data Update Request where you will be able to select fields that you want to update like Name, Gender, DOB, Address, Mobile Number and Email ID.
- Select the fields from the list which you want to update your Aadhaar and click on the submit button.
- In the next screen, you will have to enter your data for the update, fill complete fields in the form and make sure that your information is translated correctly in the local language.
- Once you fill the fields in the update form just click on submit update request.
- On next page, you will get one more chance to review your submitted update details entered, if everything is correct just accept “I confirm that I have read that instruction carefully and the information provided by me to the UIDAI and the information contained herein is true, correct and accurate” and click on proceed button.
- In the Next Step of document upload you will have to upload supported valid self-attested scanned copies of document proof in .jpg, .pdf, .tiff, .jpeg, or .png, formats but the maximum size of the document should not exceed 2 MB.
- Just upload the documents and submit them.
- On pressing the submit button you will have to select BPO Service Provider, select any BPO Service provider which has good average request processing time and click on the submit button.
- On submitting the documents you will get a message your update request has been successfully submitted and you will also get Update Request Number (URN). You can print your Acknowledgement of Aadhaar Update request or even save it on your computer.
- You will be informed about your update request through SMS.