When you enroll for Aadhar Card with demographic details your biometric details like fingerprints, iris, are also captured.
The biometric data captured are used for future verification purpose, for e.g. when you submit your Aadhaar Card as a proof of identity/ address or DoB to open an account your fingerprint will be captured to authenticate your data and if the fingerprint matches with the source than it gets verified successfully. So this process is known as eKYC verification, by this way the KYC process is completed within few minutes and paperless with an ease.
However there are many cases where people reported that their Aadhaar biometric authentication was been misused. People who had not used their Aadhaar Card has received SMS and email from UIDAI stating e-KYC Authentication was successfully carried out using biometric data. This was very disturbing thing and if you have come across such incidents than this can be eliminated by locking your biometric information which is stored with UIDAI.
By locking your biometric data no one will be able to access your data for eKYC or any authentication purpose until you unlock your biometric data.
Below is the complete process and steps which will help you on How to Lock/Unlock Aadhaar Biometric Data Online.
Step by Step Process on How to Lock/Unlock Aadhaar Biometric Data Online
- From your web-browser visit UIDAI portal by clicking here.
- Once you are there on biometric lock page just enter your UID (Aadhaar) Number, solve the captcha and click on generate OTP button.
- You will receive one time password on your mobile number, just enter the OTP received in the enter otp field and click on verify button.
- On next page of biometric locking just enter the captcha and click on enable to enable biometric lock (enable bio lock will lock your biometrics).
- That’s it this is how easily you have locked Aadhaar Biometric Data Online, if you want to again unlock your biometric data than you have to follow the same process and click on disable biometric data.
Whenever you want to use your biometric data you can disable biometric data and when you don’t need it just enable lock, by this way your biometric details will be secured from misuse.